Wednesday, March 2, 2022


Mrs. B was thrilled with her lap quilt. She will have something to enjoy  and have a conversational piece of artwork to share with her friends in the retirement residence. Mrs. B even wore a colourful hat to match her colourful quilt. 

All together now. I simply stitched in the ditch around each block. I added fabric pieces around the edge that was used within some of the blocks. Can be used as an Eye Spy by looking for the fabric within the quilt as well as looking for the double blocks. 

The back with all the paper removed.  I have to be careful taking the paper out so not to stretch the blocks or pull stitches out. 

The mechanics of the miniature quilt. All paper pieced. The rows are basted together first and then machine stitched. When all assembled, the paper comes out. This step makes a great out door project. I let the wind take care of all the bits and pieces of paper. 

 A mix of 2.5 inch blocks ...72 of them. A one inch sashing between blocks to frame them out. There's at least two of each block in the quilt. So it can be used as a puzzle to find the matching block. Changing the colours of a block can change the look of it. 

Friday, February 25, 2022

Getting some work done...finally.


 I am making a commissioned miniature block lap sized quilt (2.50 inch blocks) for someone in a seniors residence. She would like to be able to have it on her lap and enjoy all the colours and variety of different blocks. I think the real challenge will be when I put the blocks together. Maybe spraying with Best Press will help with all the tiny bias edges I'll have to deal with. so many bias edges to deal with !

I'm going to have at least two blocks of each in the quilt, some with different colour combinations to make it interesting for Mrs. B to find matching quilt blocks. As I pieced all the different blocks, I wasn't sure how I was going to put them together in the quilt. Or what to do around the edge. It's really made on a wing and a prayer...hope it comes out nice.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017


I've completed the door prize for this year's Christmas in the Valley Show,
Almonte Ontario. November 4 & 5, 10-4pm. Almonte Community Centre Upper Hall,
182 Bridge Street.

Sunday, October 2, 2016


I took the Jenny Doan class 'Wonky Star' when she came out to Almonte this summer with the intention of doing a quilt for the door prize for the Christmas in the Valley Artisan Show. So after 3 months and the craft show deadline looming ever closer I have finished it! I have learned a lesson though. One should start and finish quilting a quilt in one sitting. I realized after it was completed that my quilting was much closer than my first day's worth of work. It's good to learn something every day...and that was my uh huh moment. 

Saturday, November 7, 2015


I've been using the Eleanor Burns pattern and templates for making hexagon runners and mats.
It's an easier method of sewing up hexagons without struggling with Y seams and it's a nice way to show off nice fabrics.

Friday, October 9, 2015

Da Taa

This is the door prize quilt for the Christmas in the Valley Artisan Show 2015, in Almonte ON. I got the instructions from the utube video from the Missiouri Star Quilt Company. I adjusted the size of the blocks to be bigger, I think they're cut at 5.5" square. I quilted it on the reverse using the poinsettas as a guide. If I had more time I would have completed the stars on the sides. I didn't think of it when it was assembled and had run out of the gold, isn't it the way.

Saturday, August 30, 2014


I've been getting some sewing projects completed over the summer as well as taking over my son's room now that's he's been out of the house for a few years...I think it's final and I've turned his old room into an extension of my Happy Place. More of an office/library room with a comfy retro leather chair, shelving and a desk.  Yahoo for my space.

I decided some paper piecing would be good to take with me sitting outside. These are 3/4 inch pieces which make up Grandmother's Garden. I love the Shimmer Line of Northcott fabrics. Just wish they had more reds in the fabric selection. I didn't know what colour to make the binding, so I pieced up bits and made a colourful binding using a selection of fabrics from the flowers. It will be framed with glass in front but the glare makes it hard to photograph without reflections.